Counseling for New Mothers
The path to parenthood and the adjustment to life as a parent can be overwhelming. Feelings of anxiety and/or depression during this transition are not uncommon.
Talking with a therapist who specializes in maternal health can be comforting, relieving and enlightening. The difficulties of the fertility journey, pregnancy, and the first months of parenthood are not often discussed or well socialized. Trust us when we tell you that if you’re finding less than magical, you are not alone.
Therapists who have extensive education and training in post-partum disorders understand that hormone changes, personal and family history, and social support are all vital factors in understanding and alleviating postpartum symptoms.
Common postpartum symptoms include:
- Feeling overwhelmed and wondering if you should have become a mother in the first place
- Feeling guilty due to high self-expectations
- Not feeling “bonded” with the baby
- Your thoughts are racing and you can’t quiet your mind
- Feeling empty and numb as if you’re just going through the motions
- Lack of focus and concentration
- Being afraid that if you reach out for help, others will judge your inabilities
- Thoughts of running away or leaving your baby behind
- Being constantly in a state of worry
Together, we’ll work to help ease the symptoms you are experiencing during this major life change.